Letters – Reader offers letter of thanksgiving
To the Editor:
As a rural dweller, the threat of fire has always been our greatest fear. This past Friday a freak accident of nature caused an electrical fire that quickly spread to dry, thick vegetation on a small pasture adjacent to our home.
Although we were not here, our neighbors, Bill and Wilma Schwebly, sounded the alarm in our absence. Bill rushed to our home and
started fighting the fire with hoses in various parts of our yard while using his cell phone to call in reinforcements while his wife Wilma stayed out in the road in the heat of the afternoon to direct the emergency response teams.
Through the combined efforts of Clint Browning, City of Lockhart Fire Marshal, the Dale Volunteer Fire Department, The Chisholm Trail Fire and Rescue team, and a Bluebonnet Electric Coop crew, the fire was extinguished and power restored after several hours. Our home and horse barn, both of which stood only yards from the flames, were not touched by the fire.
How do you adequately say thank you to neighbors and strangers who race to your property with only one thought – to offer aid to another who is in need? We in Caldwell County are truly blessed to be part of a community where neighbors help neighbors and strangers volunteer to avert disaster.
A most sincere THANKS to each and every one of you who came to our assistance.
Esther and Bob Wilson