Herbert Schwertfeger


Herbert William Schwertfeger was born Nov. 18, 1921, to Arthur and Regina (Rosentbal) Schwertfeger in Niederwald, Texas. He was baptized Nov. 20, 1927, in the Niederwald Evangelical and Reformed Church, and confirmed in 1951 in Uhland. He attended school in Niederwald at the New Hope School. He had three sisters, Hattie, Elenora and Helen Marie and one brother Nelson.

He gre

w up farming and working in a cotton gin near Niederwald. He enjoyed fishing and spending time with his family.

He volunteered for the Air Force during World War II. He was an airplane mechanic and stationed in the San Antonio area for several years. After being discharged from the military he became an automobile mechanic. He worked for Alvin Growbasky for a few years and also attended agriculture classes. In 1950 he went to work for Lockhart Motor Company and was a mechanic there for 37 years. He was in a TV commercial for Lockhart Motor Company while he was employed there.

He loved ranching so he decided to lease some land and have some cattle. He built his cattle trailer on his spare time. He enjoyed ranching very much and tending to the cattle after work and on the weekends.

Herbert married Pauline Stuenkel April 15, 1950 in Uhland in the Evangelical and Reformed Church. They moved to Lockhart in May of 1950. Two sons were born to their union, Michael Ray (Mike), on Dec. 21, 1951 and Dwight Alan on Sept. 24, 1955.

Herbert could do most anything with his hands, he could weld a skill he used to make his cattle trailer, and he also made a swing set for the boys with a sky ride. He converted a simple fishing boat into a pleasure boat with a dash, controls, and comfortable seats. He repaired the fiberglass boat he had. He also built a fireplace and greenhouse out of bricks. He did wood work, made clocks, picture frames, birdhouse and many other items.

He was a quiet, patient, gentleman, a great father, husband and grandfather. He taught his sons family values and ranch work, including vaccinating cattle. The family did some traveling, a lot of camping and lots of skiing. We also traveled to New Mexico to Carlsbad Cavern, Big Bend National Park and also camped in White Sands New Mexico. Our trip to Lake Travis the lake was turning so the fish were coming up stunted. Mike would scoop the fish out of the water with the net while Herb drove the boat to where they were located. Camping at LakeTravis next to the dam, he had to tie Dwight’s ankle to the cot, so he wouldn’t fall down the bluff, because he was a sleep walker. Herbert drove the boat and taught his sons, their friends, and many nieces and nephews to water ski. The family attended many football, baseball, and basketball games that Mike and Dwight played, Herb enjoyed sports. These were great times.

Herbert and Pauline joined St. Paul United Church of Christ which was in the 1950’s. We attended services there and Mike and Dwight went to Sunday school. Herbert was on the church council several times and served in several offices and also was an usher. He mowed the church yard and helped keep the yard and building clean. Herbert also helped with the meals on wheels for about ten years.

Herbert and Pauline traveled to Las Vegas frequently after Dwight, Ana and family moved to Las Vegas. “We traveled by car every six months and then flew out every six months for years to visit and stay acquainted with the grandchildren. We checked out the new casinos when they opened, and watched the grandchildren play soccer as they were growing up. All the grandchildren played soccer and Dwight and Lindsay would coach some.

Other trips were to Colorado a couple of times and Herb drove up Pikes Peak and we visited the Air Force Academy, Estes Park, Colorado Springs, and took the train ride from Durango to Silverton and to Uray Colorado.”

We traveled through many states with our sister and brother-in-law, Myrtle and Raymond Heideman. We made several trips to San Diego and we camped on the beach, saw Disney Land; traveled to Nashville, Tenn., to the Grand Ole Opry and saw Elvis Presley Mansion. We also went to the Passion Play at Eureka Springs. We took trips to Smoky Mountains, Georgia, the Florida area, and to the World’s Fair in Louisiana. We took trips to Yosemite National Park, and Yellowstone National Park, which was a great experience. We traveled through Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska and on to Montana, took a tour to Lake Tahoe, Nevada, and on to San Francisco, Las Angeles and along the West Coast.

Herbert also liked to play the stock market. He and Doug hand many conversations.

The family moved to Temple, Texas in 2011 after spending 59.5 years in Lockhart to be close to family. Herbert had a hard time making the change with failing health. He missed Lockhart, his family, Plum St., church, and friends in Lockhart. He would ask at night, “when are we going home it was so cozy there.” He enjoyed being with family in Temple and Belton. He liked the more frequent family visits and Mike’s constant care which was needed. He enjoyed the great-grandchildren dropping in, the telephone calls from Nevada, and visits were also appreciated.

He was preceded in death by family members: his mother and father; baby sister, Helen Marie; sister, Elenora Ewald Roeder and husband, William Ewald and Gilford Roeder; his brother, Nelson Schwertfeger; and brothers-in-law, William Lee Stuenkel and Raymond Heideman.

He is survived by his wife of 64 years Pauline; sons, Michael Ray (Mike) and wife, Marlene, of Temple, Texas and Dwight Alan and wife, Anna, of Las Vegas; five grandchildren: Wendy Kilburn and husband, David, of Belton, Kimberly Schwertfeger, of Corpus Christi, Alison Schwertfeger, of Las Vegas, Lindsay Melton and husband, Russell, of Las Vegas and Travis Schwertfeger, of Las Vegas; four great-grandchildren: Caitlyn, Ethan, Kaden and Zane Kilburn of Belton, Texas; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Thank you, Mike, and thanks also for Girling Health Care and Sentiva Hospice during the time it was needed. All the kind people we met during this time and the visiting angels that have come to help us out. Thanks to Rev. Able for all the prayers and visits he made, and the prayers of Covenant church members. We also were comforted by the prayers and visits of Chaplain Bruce with Sentiva Hospice.

Visitation was held at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014, with services following at 10:30 a.m., at McCurdy Funeral Home. Interment followed to Live Oak Cemetery, Uhland.


Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.