Lions hit wall of Tigers in fourth loss


By Alonzo Garza

Costly mistakes and a long list of miscues by the Lions allowed Dripping Springs to hand Lockhart their fourth loss of the season during a Homecoming game against the Tigers at Lion Stadium on Friday, Sept. 17. The Lions fell 18-35 after a tremendous attempt to come back in the second half.

A drenched field, along with a cont

inuous light drizzle made for an interesting game on Friday night. The weather had an affect on both teams’ performances, but in the end it was the Tigers who were better able to adjust and maintain their composure.

“We improved from the previous games, but just did not close the deal to win,” Head Coach Robin Rapp said. “In all phases of the game we got better. We just need to learn how to win and we will.”

Dripping Springs began putting points on the scoreboard during the first quarter, while any Lockhart attempts to advance the ball were thwarted by a wall of Tigers.

The Tigers scored their first touchdown at 5:02 and their second at 2:31, ending the first quarter with a score of 0-14.

The second quarter action began with the Tigers in possession of the ball. An interception by Brooks Pittman gave the Lions a first-and-10 at their own 38-yard line at 9:39. An incomplete pass from Vonte Hedspeth to Dylan Windham gave the Lions a second-and-10 followed by short gains.

By 8:44, the Lions were at the Tigers’ 43-yard line with another first-and-10. Joseph Bell moved the ball along, despite the high snaps that continued to plague the Lions throughout the game.

At 7:20, the Lions reached the 21-yard line with a second-and-six, followed by a first-and-10 at the Tiger 16-yard line after a carry by Aurelio Garcia at 6:52. Pittman carried the ball to the 11-yard line for a second-and-six at 6:20, and the Lions called a timeout with a fourth-and-one at the 8-yard line. The Lions continued their drive forward until Aurelio Garcia rushed in for the first Lion touchdown of the night.

A bad snap on the extra point kick attempt kept the Lions from earning an additional point for a score of 6-14.

The Tigers fumbled on the kickoff return, but recovered quickly for a first-and 10 at their own 34-yard line at 3:24. A long pass to the right side of the field was good for a first-and-10 at the Lions’ 11. It was followed by a second-and-five play that lead to a touchdown with a carry down the left side of the field. The extra point kick was good for a score of 6-21 with 2:25 remaining in the first half. The half ended with no further scoring from either team.

The Lions came charging back after the halftime break. Bell scored the second Lion touchdown of the game with a run down the right side of the field. The two-point conversion attempt failed for a score of 12-21 at 11:41.

A series of mishaps such as fumbles, quarterback scrambles and sacks, along with a handful of penalty flags followed until the Tigers scored another touchdown at 5:14 for a score of 12-28. More fumbles and incomplete passes kept the fans in suspense in the third quarter.

The Tigers had to settle for a first-and-10 play at their own 4-yard line after a kickoff catch was dropped and recovered with 1:58 remaining in the third. The first play resulted in another fumble also recovered by the Tigers. A third fumble at 1:08 was fought for, but again, was recovered by the Tigers. Dripping Springs decided to punt out of the end zone with 15 seconds remaining in the quarter.

The Lions blocked the punt and Logan Zimmerhanzel recovered the ball for a touchdown. A pass attempted for extra points was intercepted and the quarter ended at 18-28.

The fourth quarter began with the Tigers taking possession of the ball first. They fumbled on a third-and-two play, handing the Lions good field position with a first-and-ten at the Tiger 34-yard line. The Lions were unable to capitalize on the field position and the Tigers took over at their own 43-yard line.

After their quarterback got sacked, Dripping Springs decided to kick on a fourth down with 14 yards to go and less than nine minutes remaining in the game. The Tigers kicked down field and a most unfortunate and bizarre event occurred when the ball came down on the head of a Lion and bounced into the waiting arms of an incoming Tiger.

The Tigers recovered the ball at the Lions’ 31 for a first-and-ten with 7:18 to go on the clock. Dripping Springs moved the ball to the 5-yard line before earning their last touchdown of the night at 6:43. The extra point kick was good for a final score of 18-35.

“I am extremely proud of the valiant effort our guys played with,” Rapp said. “We played well in some adverse conditions versus a very good Dripping Springs team. There is definitely no quit in these young men and they are improving immensely. District starts this week and it is a new season. The Lions are prepared for this endeavor.”

The Lions face Alamo Heights at Lion Stadium for a “Pop Warner” game at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 24.
See you at the game.


Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.